Hospice volunteers are unpaid workers who have donated their time and resources to support hospice patients, caregivers, and staff. They constitute an integral part of hospice care.
A hospice agency may be able to offer certain services based solely on the skills and talents of their volunteers. For example, a hospice agency that has certified massage therapists and beauticians volunteering will be able to offer those services to their patients whereas an agency without these types of volunteers would not be able to offer such services to their patients. Thus, the extended services offered at a hospice agency could vary on a case-by-case basis.
Below is a list of just some of the many potential jobs a hospice volunteer may perform:
- Administrative work: making photocopies, filing paperwork, assembling admission packets, etc.
- Social visits: visiting patients at their place of residence to offer them companionship and support.
- Caregiver relief: assuming care of a patient for a couple of hours to allow the caregiver time for a break.
- Massage therapy: certified massage therapists may offer various types of massage to patients. Some agencies also sponsor staff appreciation days with free mini-massages for hospice staff.
- Beautician or barber services: licensed beauticians and barbers may donate their services to patients in the patient’s home setting. This is an especially helpful service for patients who cannot make it to a salon or barber shop.
- Aromatherapy: trained aromatherapists use scents to aid in relaxation and pain relief. Some hospice agencies offer aromatherapy training for their volunteers.
- Pet companions: Pets that are trained and certified companions can be taken to patient homes, nursing facilities, or inpatient hospice facilities to provide companionship and pure pleasure to hospice patients.
There may be many other services that hospice volunteers can provide, depending on the agency’s needs, the skills and talents of the hospice volunteers, and the needs of patients and families. No matter what skills and talent you possess, we will find some way to use them.
So feel free to contact us if you will like to make a difference in the life of a patient. Please fill and submit a hospice volunteer application. Please submit application/resume to NovelHospice@yahoo.com.